Rescheduling transport from day to night is very topical. Since 2017 many terminals and container depots in the port of Antwerp are accessible during night hours. Also, terminals in the port of Ghent aspire to establish more activity during the night, but night opening hasn’t been a success everywhere. To establish night transport in a structured way, it is necessary to involve warehouses, production centers, as well as transport companies in the hinterland.
This project will develop an overall concept to make deliveries outside the usual opening hours possible, using technological and infrastructural solutions. The concept will keep in mind, among other things, the safety of the driver, the security of the cargo, the economic feasibility (even for companies with smaller volumes) and other conditions like contractual liability and customs clearance.
- Providing a solution for the increasing congestion problems
- Night opening is mainly applicable within large companies. This project aims to look for and find solutions, even for smaller volumes
- Better use of existing private and public infrastructure
- Time savings during transportation and the economic impact of the reduction of congestion
- Reducing peak moments at terminals and loading and unloading areas