AR-VR Training for Logistics
AR (Augmented Reality) & VR (Virtual Reality) are disruptive technologies that are transforming the way we communicate and cooperate with each other. VIL is starting a project that analyzes the possibilities of these technologies for logistic trainings.
status: Running |
Augmented Reality puts information on top of reality, which blurs the line between what is real and what is not. Virtual Reality creates a whole new reality. It manipulates the senses into thinking you are in a different world. For this you need special glasses and equipment, like a remote control or gloves that registrate hand movements.
AR and VR can be used to let new employees practice different kinds of logistic operations in a virtual reality.
One of the most important lessons learned from the VIL report ‘Vision in Logistics‘ is that AR has a strong added value for trainings. It has a positive impact on quality (fewer mistakes), which leads to better performance.
The project has economic and social potential:
- increasing productivity, reliability and accuracy in performing logistic tasks, by using AR – VR in training
- decreasing (security) risks of high risk processes, by training with VR and using extra AR alerts and warnings
- optimising processes by pointing out changes via AR – VR
- re-educate employees easily, with limited infrastructure and at little extra costs
- using AR – VR for testing soft skills in recruitment procedures
- reducing the amount of movements in the warehouse, thanks to remote help
- to analyze the needs and tools for trainings today
- to map out the potential advantages in using AR – VR applications
- to catalogue current market players of AR – VR software applications
- to examine best practices, the most important features and integration possibilities
- to analyze possible applications
- to map out current problems and points of improvement
- to create an overview of the different AR – VR solutions relevant to the participating companies
- to execute multiple proof of concepts at the participating companies
- to analyze the test results